Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

A Brand New Master Gardener Project

 I recently submitted a request to begin a brand new Master Gardener project in our area.  I'm so pleased our extension agent agreed and endorsed the paperwork.

I met with the local Fresh Food Program manager located at our local Food Bank.  She (and she is also a MG) got grant monies last year and started 6 local community gardens mainly in low income housing neighborhoods.  She also developed gardening beds on the local Food Bank site.  She has done an amazing job of pulling this together and after we talked, I thought this would be the perfect project for our group.  Volunteers recently help complete a small home made greenhouse as well, which will make seed starting much easier next year.

Most of the participants have either never gardened or are not quite sure how to make it all work.  This is right up our alley as MGs.

Given the state of the economy these days, growing some of your own food is smart in many ways.  So I feel we can really make an impact on many areas with this idea.  I'm really excited and hope to get great cooperation from my group!  I'll try and keep this updated on this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment