Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Finally got some planting done

We are way late, but finally managed to get tomatoes, peppers, beans (bush type), and radishes in at the beginning of last week.  We've had steady off and on rain for the last several days and things a looking very good.

I've also gotten several planters started for our small patio.  I have golden sage, rosemary and thyme in one I did as part of a Master Gardener project.  They are looking good and smell heavenly!  I want to do 2 of my larger containers with coleus (I have a "thing" for coleus) and decorative sweet potato plants.  I just love the textures and the colors together.  I'll post some pictures when I get them together.  Also want to do some lettuce and spinach in containers this year.  I believe I can get a longer harvest if I can move them to more shaded areas when it begins to get hot.

Still working our new MG project, one of the sites had their plants in the ground and they are doing really well.  Want to take some sunflower plants down to plant along a fence row for the kids to enjoy as well.  The kids are so excited and ask such good questions, it's a pleasure to work with them.

The other site is awaiting a delivery of more soil.  What they had was almost impossible to dig up and move over to the raised beds.  So the program manager is arranging for more to be delivered.  Again these are going in late, but we'll be providing mainly plants to get them going.

Working with these square foot gardens has really been a challenge for me.  I'm familiar with the method and have adapted some of the techniques to my on plots.  I don't always agree with some of the philosophy involved, but this gardening method does certainly allow for a large production of veggies/flowers in a small space and lends itself readily to succession planting.  Here in VA that means you can grow almost all year.  I've convinced my gardeners to wait to plant multiples of cole/brassicas until the fall.  I've found it to me more effective and those vegetables do well with a nip of frost.  Plus the square foot gardens are easier to protect from heavy frost, so it's possible to get fresh broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc up until Feb depending on what varieties you grow and your location   Interesting stuff!  Plus you don't have the insect problems you do in the spring time.  It's much easier to control.




No comments:

Post a Comment